Little Women // Relatability

Little Women, a novel I have scrolled past a number of times, turned out to be the novel I relate with the most. Considering my perception of my own life, very relatable.

                                        Little Women' Review: Greta Gerwig Makes An Old Story Feel New Again
                                                 
Brilliant cast (heart eyes for Saoirse Ronan) and beautiful story-telling. Gret Gerwig, you have my heart, from Lost in translation, through Ladybird to Little Women.

The story is set in London in the 1800s with Jo March being just the person that I have a feeling that I am turning into, something I foresaw even before I read or watched the movie. Now, this sense of reassuring and relatability is comforting if it is anything at all next to the simple facts laid down about the domestic lives of women. 

Joe March realises that she loved Theodore a little late and when she found love again in a man so honest and blunt, I was happy but also a bit disappointed as a reader who started relating with her so much to the point that I started thinking that the story was written for me when she and her sisters chase after him so she can seize an opportunity of love and get it right this time for sure. But my, oh my did the plot twist have me thinking "that's my girl!" when Jo March told the publisher that her heroine doesn't marry Friedrich at the end of the book. I was delighted by that turn the plot took which she later had to change it anyway because the only way her book was going to get published was if it ended with the so-called happy ending of her marrying Joe. But then again, this movie or the book if I ever read, will not be something that I can drive my confidence to live the certain way I intend to fully as it is not the only thing I can base my future-reality in. But I am glad I got a chance to breathe in something familiar to the working of my mind.

Marriage being an"economic proposition" is the one statement that got me hooked and in a sense, that it's not just me but some women in the world actually don't and haven't been necessarily feel like hanging by the rope of stereotypes, ever since the 1880s. Surely, love is not singular. Love can be found anywhere if you have the eyes for it and if you can see clearly that love can take many transformations, love and care for the family that one is born into, love for a career and travel plans, anything at all. 

In life, the most important thing that a woman who wishes to set herself apart from the rest of her family and the world is confidence but surely some families in my personal experience try and steer the confidence in a direction that takes attention from the path the women sees fit for her all in the name of doing what's right for her after they are gone. But what about what's important to her? Guess she'll have to fight harder for her own freedom. Gladly:)

Never have I seen a story with the ideals of the writer's strike a chord with mine, a movie so apt in pushing me forward, although I am aware of the heartbreak and emotional turmoil that will unfold if I am to take the aberrant journey. I hope Little Men or even the real Little Women, doesn't disappoint me (haven't read the book yet).

"Girls only wanna see women being married, not consistency", you say, publisher? Pfft, not this girl right here. Watch me.

End of rant.


Comments

Popular Posts