Chocolate cake

         I used to have the weirdest aversion to sweet-tasting foods for quite a while, foods filled with processed sugar and even the kind that are naturally too sweet like Apples, and yes, I used to hate desserts, conclusively. Looking back at it now, I see it was a phase I've outgrown. I remember downright saying no to sweet stuff, it involves me passing on that chocolate fountain in restaurants and giving away the chocolate and eclairs to friends in college and school. But, lately, becoming the homebody that I am now has given me a reason to bake with chocolate and oh have realised that I been hitting that pass on this roasted cocoa bean goodness a little too often ever since I tasted a version of chocolate that ruined chocolate and memories of chocolate for me. Man was I going through some twisted chocolate PTSD. Now every time I think of chocolate I think about the recipe of chocolate cake I made this 2020 and I breathe a lot easier than I used to around chocolate and I have come to embrace the idea of speckling some desserts which chocolate shavings if both seem to go well. 


Ingredients for the cake:

Sugar- 250g

Unsweetened cocoa powder - 100g

Butter - 1 cup/150g

Flour - 1cup/150g

Vanilla bean 

Baking soda - 1/3 teaspoon 


Scrape and collect the seeds from the vanilla bean. 

Whisk the ingredients together and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 C for 30 minutes/ until the cake is done.


Ingredients for the frosting:

Unsweetened, sifted cocoa powder - 100g

Butter - 100g

Castor sugar - 1 cup/150g


Whisk the cocoa powder and butter together and gradually add the castor sugar until it incorporates well together. Test for sweetness and add more sugar to fit your need.


Ingredients for the chocolate sauce:

Ghee - 3 tablespoons

Cocoa powder - as much/little as you'd like

Jaggery- 100g


Melt the trio in a pan as you mix them thoroughly.

Let it cool. If it isn't allowed to cool, it will melt the frosting and we do not want that to happen to the frosting.

When the sauce and the frosting are prepared, take out the cake after its resting time and gently pour smear the frosting on the top. 

Pour the sauce on the edge of the cake.

Dig in!








Comments

Popular Posts